Type a surname into the query box below, and then hit the
Use the linked alphabet below to list all surnames starting
with a specific letter.
Use the all link to list all surnames.
The % wildcard character can
be used to match unknown portions of a surname.
For example, searching for:
will find records matching the Smith, Smyth,
Smooth, etc. surnames.
record(s) were found.
|DOUGHERTY / DOHERTY
||Dungiven early 1800s
| I am trying to find DOHERTYs (DOUGHERTYs) from Dungiven, Derry, Ireland. They later lived in VT, NY and Canada. What I know is:
1.Thomas Doherty (died about 1830 Dungiven) and Elizabeth McClosky had at least six children: Michael, Marcus (b circa 1820), Bridget (b circa 1827), Isabella (b circa 1813), James, and Mary.
2. Michael lived in Rondout (Kingston), Ulster Co, NY; his wife was Ann. They had three children James, Isabella and Elizabeth.
a. James was born about 1843 in Rondout and was ordained a priest in Troy, New York in 1867. Spelled his name Dougherty. James was the first Pastor of St. Joseph's in Kingston. He was later at St. Monica's in New York City in 1888.
and St. Gabriel's in New York City in 1902. He died in 1906 in New York City.
b. Isabella was a nun; she was Mother Ambrose of the Ursaline order. She was still alive on Jan. 1st of 1906.
c. Elizabeth is buried at St Mary's cemetary in Kingston, NY. She did not marry.
d. Mary Anne married and lived in NYC
3. Isabella married Bernard McReynolds, also from Dungiven. They lived in Kingston, NY and had no children we know about.
4. Mary married Andrew O'Reilly and had several children; they lived Kingston NY.
5. Marcus was born about 1820 in Dungiven and was allegedly sent to live with an uncle in Johnson Vermont when his father died. He went to the University of Vermont (BA,MA 1845) and married Elizabeth O'Halloran in Burlington Vermont in 1884. He moved to Canada and became a lawyer and judge in Montreal. They had at least nine children one of whom was Charles Joseph Doherty (1855-1931) who was judge, lawyer, MP and Canadian Minister of Justice. Charles Joseph
Doherty married Catherine Lucy Barnard 1888.
6. Bridget Doherty was born about 1827 in Dungiven. She married William D Hayden. They lived Kingston NY and children were: Mary (m. Allen), Helen (m Fitzgerald, Kearny; died Queens NY 1940), William J (married Anna Sweeney; died 1926 in Jersey City) Isabella (died 1941 Trenton NJ) and a stepson John Bonner.
Would welcome any connetion with this elusive family.